Have you ever looked at the ways that you and your spouse complement each other, how you are alike, and how you differ?
Danny and I complement each other in these ways:
- I like the soft fluffy french fries, he like the crispy, skinny ones.
- I like the middle slices of bread, he likes the heel.
- I like to feed the fish, he likes to feed the cats.
- I like to pull weeds and he likes to cut the grass.
- I like to decide where the pictures will go on the wall, he likes to hang them.
- He likes to clean the garage and I like to clean the house.
We have these things in common:
- We are both people persons.
- Neither of us ever met a stranger.
- We both like spicy foods.
- We have very similar tastes in decor.
- We both love left-overs.
- We both love nature.
- We both love cats and fish.
- We both love Subaru’s.
- We both enjoy off-road adventures.
- We both like to eat out at the same restaurants.
- Our family backgrounds are similar.
- We are both family oriented.
- We both like psychological thrillers.
- We have the same spiritual beliefs.
We have these differences:
- He is the glass half-full and I am the glass half-empty.
- He is oblivious to his aches and pains and I am sensitive to mine.
- He keeps his own counsel and I verbalize everything.
- He is the dreamer and I am the realist.
- He researches everything and I fly by the seat of my pants.
- He is task oriented and I get side tracked.
- I am impulsive and he is methodical.
- If I think something, I voice it. He thinks about something before he voices it.
- I stick, he runs.
- What’s his is yours, what’s mine is mine.
- He is athletic, I am not.
The thing is…
We have had scary moments.
We have had ecstatic moments.
We have had angry moments.
We have had peaceful moments.
We have been on the same page.
We have been in different books.
But after 20 years, we are still two halves of a whole.