As I was preparing my breakfast of 12 grain toast with Cheez Whiz spread upon it, it made me think of some of the strange foods and food combinations I ate mostly as snacks as a child.
Unfortunately, my mother never forced me to eat vegetables. I discovered in my early twenties that I love vegetables and will eat a package of frozen cut leaf spinach for lunch or dinner by itself (of course I nuke it and add lemon and butter, spinach in a frozen state doesn’t appeal to me). I will share a few of my faves with you:
- Cheese Whiz on Toast
- Braunschweiger (liver pate’ comes in a plastic chub) on crackers.
- Sugar sandwiches
- Catsup sandwiches
- Cheese toast
- Fried potato sandwiches
- Canned peas
- Canned corn
- Dinner rolls for breakfast
- Mac and Cheese with catsup
- Mashed potatoes with catsup
- Scrambled eggs with catsup
- Hot dogs with wieners that had been split, cheese inserted and Worchestershire Sauce poured over it.
- Bologna sandwiches accompanied by any kind of bean
- Bologna sandwiches, bologna sandwiches, bologna sandwiches
- Peanut butter and syrup on bread (not my fave, my grandmother served it to us) I shudder to think of it.
I remain a catsup-a-holic to this day but not just any catsup, it has to be “Heines”. However, I no longer eat it on bread, mac and cheese, mashed potatoes or scrambled eggs. I think it was just an excuse to eat catsup.
What kinds of strange foods did you eat as a child?